ONE & TWO PERSON EXHIBITIONS
2015 • “Nina Weiss: Prairies” Union League Club. Chicago; IL.
2014 • “Hidden & Protected” Solo show. Brushwood Center; Ryerson Woods. Riverwoods; IL.
• Adlai E. Stevenson High School Rotunda Gallery. Solo show & visiting artist lecture. Lincolnshire; IL.
2013 • “Emotions of Color” Nina Weiss & Elisa Boughner. The Art Center, Highland Park, IL.
• “Landscape Transitions” Illinois Artisan Gallery; State of Illinois Building. Chicago, IL.
• “Nuances of Landscape” Nina Weiss & Mary Porterfield. Koehnline Art Museum, Oakton College. Des Plaines, IL.
2012 • “Location Impulsion” Nina Weiss, Bonnie Peterson & Michael X. Ryan. Christopher Art Gallery, Prairie State College.
2011 • “Under Pink Skies”. Solo show; Mavi Contemporary Art. Tacoma, WA.
2010 • “Nina Weiss Landscapes: Not Far Off”. Solo show, Union Street Gallery, Chicago.
2009 • “Acadia and Beyond”, new paintings. Spurling Gallery of Contemporary Art & Craft. Corea, ME.
2008, 2010 • One-person Show, new paintings. Constance Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
2007 • One-person Show; new paintings. The Gallery @ Notice, Highland Park, IL.
• “Landscapes from Acadia National Park”. Chapter Two Gallery, Corea, ME.
• “Nina Weiss & Yelena Klairmont: Landscapes”. Richard T Wright Gallery, College of Lake County. Grayslake, IL.
2003 -2005 • “Winter Break” & “New Works” solo shows Joyce Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
2002 • “In the Sun’s Light”, four person show , Anne Loucks Gallery. Glencoe, IL.
2001 • “Nina Weiss: Pastels & Gouaches” One Person Show. Joyce Petter Gallery, Saugatuck, MI.
• “The Ideal Landscape” Nina Weiss & Didiet Nolet. Crown Center Gallery, Loyola University, Chicago, IL.
2000 • "Landscape" , Weiss, Ryan, Macpherson. Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1993, 2000 • "Nina Weiss: Pastel and Gouache Landscapes, Chicago Botanic Garden. Glencoe, IL.
1999 • "Collected Travels: Pastel and Gouaches 1996-1999", SXU Gallery. One person show, St. Xavier University. Chicago, IL.
• "Interpreting Landscape", Chicago Art Source. Three -person show. Chicago, IL.
1998 • "Pastel Landscapes", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Recollected Landscapes", Dorothea Theil Gallery. South Suburban College. Gouache Paintings. South Holland, IL.
• "Nina Weiss & Lisa Vanderhill", Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1997 • "Everybodys' Show", Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1996 • "Pastel Landscapes", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL. Pastel Drawings and Gouache Paintings.
• "Pastels and Gouaches", Union League Club. One person show. Chicago, IL.
1995 • "Gallery Stroll", Pastel Landscapes, Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1994 • "Shadow & Light: the Pastel Landscape", Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Works on Paper", Charles Hespe Gallery. San Francisco, CA.
1992 • “The Pastel Landscape”, Mary Bell Gallery. One person show. Chicago, IL.
1990 • “Recent Pastels”, Dorothea Theil Gallery. South Suburban Community College. One-person show. South Holland, IL.
2015 • “Microcosmos”; Gallery 621. Benicia; CA.
2015 • “Art & Flowers: Color; Form & Harmony” Ellington-White Contemporary Art Gallery. Fayetteville; NC.
• “Illinois Artisans 30th Anniversary Show” Robert Morris University State Street Art Gallery. Chicago; IL.
• “Illinois Art Educator Exhibition” University of St. Francis Art Gallery. Joliet; IL.
2014 • New York Art Expo at Pier 94. New York, New York.
• “Open Channels: an Art in the Open Exhibition” at the Center for Emerging Artists. Philadelphia; PA
2013 • Illinois Artisan Program/Illinois State Museum Cook County Law Library Show. Daley Center, Chicago.
2011 • “Creative Visions”. Five-person show, State of Illinois Museum at Southern Illinois Artisan Center, Rend Lake, IL.
• “Call & Response: From Artemesia to Frida”. Koehnline Museum, Oakton College. Des Plaines, IL.
2010 • “A Rich & Rare Land”, group show. Beverly Arts Center, Chicago.
2010 • “Vistas & Visions” Gallerie MK. Chicago, IL.
2008 • “New Works” Perlow – Stevens Gallery, Columbia, MO.
2006 • “The Contemporary Landscape“, Harris Magee Gallery. Jackson, MI.
• “Travel Documents, A + D Gallery Columbia College. Chicago. IL. Oakton Community College, Koehnline Museum of Art.
2005 • “New Artist Show” , Fine Line Designs Gallery. Ephraim, WI.
2003 - 2006 • “Holiday Exhibition”, Featured Gallery Artists. Anne Loucks Gallery, Glencoe, Il.
2002 • Group Landscape Show, Anne Loucks Gallery. Glencoe, IL.
• “American Portfolio III”, Group Show. Chemeketa Community College, Salem, OR.
2001 • “Natural Vistas”, Group Invitational Show. Midland Center for the Arts, Midland, MI. 1999 • Joyce Petter Gallery, Group Show. Douglas, MI.
• New York Art Expo, Marco Fine Arts. New York, NY.
• "The Chicago Art Scene", group show. Belloc Lowndes Gallery. Chicago, IL.
• "Landscape", Gallery artists' group show. Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1998 • "Drawing Invitational", Parkland Gallery of Art. Parkland Community College. Champaign, IL.
• Joyce Petter Gallery 24th Anniversary Celebration Show. Saugatuck, MI.
1997 - 1998 • Los Angeles Art Expo, Marco Fine Arts. Los Angeles, CA.
1997 • St. Louis Print Market. Washington U. Gallery of Art. Courtesy Locus Gallery. Clayton, MO.
1996 • "Soft Vistas", 5 person show, Editions Limited Gallery. Indianapolis, IN.
1995 • "Works on Paper", Group Show, Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1994 - 2002 • "Holiday Exhibit: from Altman to Zaring", Editions Limited Gallery . Indianapolis, IN.
• "New Artist Exposition", Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
• "The Illinois Landscape", Community Gallery of Art. Drawing Invitational. College of Lake County, Grayslake, IL.
1993 -1998 • Group Show, Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1992 • “Artists For A.R.T.”, J. Rosenthal Fine Arts, LTD. Chicago, IL.
1991 • “Landscapes”, Ruth Volid Gallery. Chicago, IL.
• “New Works Invitational”, Governors’ State University Gallery University Park, IL.
• “Artists for A.R.T.”, Erie Street Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1990 • “Small Works on Paper”, Ruth Volid Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1989 • “Summer Show”, Contemporary Art Workshop. Chicago, IL.
2014 • “Art in the Open”. Juried three-day on-site artist creation on the Schulykill River. Philadelphia; PA.
• Original landscape paintings licensed by Met Colors publishing company. Oklahoma City; OK.
2013; 2015 • “Chicago Fire” Television series. Paintings and prints acquisitioned for interior shots.
2012 • “Art in Hand” National playing card deck; Illinois, 5 of Hearts. • “Nina Weiss Presents Wednesday Night Painter of the North Shore Art League”. Curated show of student work.
•Invitational Member of the Prismacolor Advisory Council.
2011 • “Art Expert” Chicago Creative Art Expo, Chicago Artist Resource. Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago IL.
2010 • Product Brochure for Prismacolor Watercolor Pencil tins produced including seven original drawings.
2009 • Prismacolor Pencils: Colored pencil fine-art landscape demonstration video for website and Youtube.
2008 • “Nina Weiss: An Artists Spiritual Journey”. Lecture and slide presentation, Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago.
• Highland Park Film Festival lecture “Art in Films” in conjunction with Port Clinton Art Festival.
2007 • “Cool Globes:Cool Solutions for a Warm Planet”. 5” fiberglass globe, “Tall Grass” Field Museum Plaza, Chicago.
2006 • Chefs for Humanity charity event “Art of Food” Collaboration with Grant Macperson, Executive Chef, Wynn Resorts.
2005 • “Kohl Children’s Museum Planes on Parade”. 5’ fiberglass airplane designed and painted for benefit at auction.
2004 • WBBM Newsradio 780. Interview on “Made in Chicago” show.
• “Ice Harvest”, Feature film directed by Harold Ramis. Twelve landscape paintings featured in movie set. Waukegan, IL.
2002 - 2003 • “Todi Expo at Studio 1123” Show of student work for Italian Landscape Workshop. Curator.
2002 • “Artist to Artist” with Enid Silverman. Cable TV show; demonstration and interview
2001 • Guest Lecturer at the Midland Center for the Arts in conjunction with invitational show and workshop. Midland, MI.
1999 - 2004 • Art in Embassies Program, Washington, DC. Drawings on loan to U.S. Government Ambassado to Nairobi. Nairobi, Kenya. Drawings on loan to the U.S. Government Ambassador’s residence in Barhaim, Saudi Arabia.
1999 • SXU Gallery, St. Xavier University. Guest Lecturer in conjunction with one-person show. Chicago, IL.
• "Just Visiting”, feature film directed by John Hughes. Drawings included in stage design for movie set. Chicago, IL.
• National Enterprise of Women & Hospitality; Guest Lecturer on Printmaking & Works on Paper. Chicago, IL
1998 - 1999 • Marco Fine Arts Limited Edition serigraphs from original pastel drawings. El Segundo, CA.
• The Art Institute of Chicago. Three-day pastel portrait demonstration in conjunction with Mary Cassatt Exhibition.
• Parkland College Art Gallery, visiting artist lecture for invitational show. Parkland College, Champaign, IL.
• South Suburban Community College, Gouache landscape painting demonstration. South Holland, IL.
1997, 2007 • "Focus on the Arts", Highland Park High School. Visiting Artist. Highland Park, IL.
1995 - 1998 • City of Chicago Dept. of Cultural Affairs, Cultural Grants. Community Arts Assistance Program. Panelist.
• Cable Television Home & Garden Channel "Homes Across America". Artist Loft Segment for cable TV.
1993 - 1994 • Full Court Press. Seven Limited Edition Lithographs. Hand inked and pulled. 1994 • Merrill Chase Galleries. Poster produced for the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa. Buffalo Grove, IL.
1993 • Artist in Residence. Ox-Bow, Division of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Saugatuck, MI.
1992 • Visiting Artist. Gallery 37 Outreach Program at the Neighborhood Institute. Chicago, IL.
• Merrill Chase Galleries. Poster from original drawing produced for Hyatt Hotels. Buffalo Grove, IL.
1990 • AES Gallery. Limited Edition Offset Lithograph from original drawing.
1985 • WKOW TV. Courtroom Sketch Artist. Madison, WI.
1999 - Present Columbia College, Chicago, IL. Beginning Drawing, Drawing II, Color and Composition, 2-D Design, Color Strategies
1990 – 2012 Chicago Botanic Gardens. Color in Nature, Outdoor Sketching, Landscape Drawing & Painting. Glencoe, IL.
1991 - 2009 School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Division of Continuing Studies. Landscape Drawing, Beginning Drawing, Gouache
Painting, Pastel Drawing, Color Theory, Chicago, IL.
2008 – Present North Shore Art League. Weekly Painting Studio. Winnetka, IL.
2005 – Present Evanston Art Center. Painting Studio, Color in the Winter Landscape, Color Theory, Gouache Evanston, IL.
1998 - 1999 South Suburban Community College, South Holland, IL. Beginning Drawing.
1998 - 2009 School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Division of Continuing Studies. Advisor, Drawing Certification Program.
1989 - 1990 South Suburban Community College, South Holland, IL. Nature of Art, Illustration.
1985 Elvejem Museum of Art. Children's Program. Madison, WI.
2015 “Travel Sketching” The Clearing Folk School. Sisterbay; WI.
2014 “Travel Sketching” Cloudcroft Art Workshops. Cloudcroft; NM.
2014 French Landscape Workshop at Montfaucon. Limoux; France.
2013 “Travel Sketching” Cheap Joe’s Art Workshops. Boone, NC.
2012 “Creative Color” LaGrange Art League, LaGrange, IL.
2007 - 2010 Travel Sketching, Painting and Drawing the Maine Landscape, Naked Color. Corea, ME.
2007 - 2011 Irish Landscape Workshop, Conemarra, Ireland. 9 day landscape drawing and painting Workshop.
2010 - 2013 Chicago Botanic Garden; Creative Color; Color in Nature, Creative Color in Botanicals. Glencoe, IL.
2004 - Present Peninsula Art School, Pastel, Pastel Landscape Drawing, Travel Sketching, Painting Intensive Critique. Fish Creek, WI.
2003 School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Four day plein-air landscape workshop. Chicago, IL.
2002 - 2010 Monthly Pastel Critique and Workshop
2002 - 2013 “Italian Landscape Workshop with Nina Weiss” Two week Italian Landscape Workshop in Umbria, Italy.
2001 Terra Museum of Art, Chicago IL. Teachers Workshop in conjunction with Paintings of the Hudson River School.
2001 Midland Center for the Arts, Pastel Workshop. Midland, MI.
2000 - 2009 School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Division of Continuing Studies. Color Theory. Gouache Painting. Chicago, IL.
1999 - Present Evanston Art Center. Workshops: Pastel Landscape, Pastel ,Gouache, Travel Sketching, Color Theory. Evanston, IL.
1998 Suburban Fine Arts Center. “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain”. Highland Park, IL.
1997 - Summer School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Introduction to Drawing, two-day workshop. Chicago, IL.
1997 The Art Institute of Chicago. Four two day weekend Pastel Demonstration and Family Workshop in conjunction with Renoir Exhibition.
United Airlines, Narita Airport. Tokyo, Japan. Aetna Insurance Company. Chicago, IL.
Hyatt Hotels. Chicago, IL. McDonalds Corporation, Oakbrook. Chicago, IL.
United States Gypsum. Chicago, IL. Headquarters. McDonalds Corporation. Raleigh, NC. Regional Office.
United States Customs. Chicago, IL. McDonalds Corporation. Cleveland, OH. Regional Office.
Mary Kay Cosmetics. Dallas, TX.
Alternative Resources Corporation. Lincolnshire, IL.
Bloomingdale Public Library. Bloomingdale, IL.
Embassy Suites Hotel. Lombard, IL.
Saint Josephs Hospital. Chicago, IL.
Avon Corporation. Chicago, IL.
University of Illinois, Dept. of Engineering. Champaign, IL.
Marriot Suites Hotel. Rosemont, IL.
Eli Lily Pharmecuticals. Indianapolis, IN.
The City of Warrenville. Warrenville, IL.
Riley’s Children’s Hospital. Indianapolis, IN.
Deloitte Touche, Chicago, IL.
U S Department of the Interior, National Park Service
College of Lake County. Vernon Hills, IL.
2013 – Present ArtProv Gallery. Providence; RI.
1993 - Present Joyce Petter Gallery. Douglas, MI.
1993 - Present Editions Limited. Indianapolis, IN
2013 - Present Art Design Consultants. Cincinnati, OH
2012 - Present Isleford Artists Gallery. Isleford Island; ME
2005- 2011 Spurling Gallery of Contemporary Art & Craft. Corea; ME
2005 - 2007 Fine Line Design Gallery. Ephraim, Door County WI.
2002 -2008 Anne Loucks Gallery. Glencoe, Il.
1991- 2001 Mary Bell Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1994-1997 Charles Hespe Gallery. San Francisco, CA.
1990-1992 Ruth Volid Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1986-1987 Art Institute of Chicago Sales & Rental Gallery. Chicago, IL.
1984-1986 Madison Art Center Sales & Rental Gallery. Madison, WI.
1983 The Friends Gallery, Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Minneapolis, MN.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESS
2015 “Artists Homes & Studios” Ashley Rooney; Schiffer Publishing. Soft cover book
2014 Highland Park Landmark; “Artists Find Home in Highland Park”
2012 • Pioneer Press- Business Spotlight “Skokie Valley Highway Workspace Raises Art Awareness”
• Highland Park Sun Times “Highland Park Artist Nina Weiss”
• “100 Artist of the Midwest” Ashley Rooney; Schiffer Publishing. Soft cover book.
2011 Northwest Military.com “Pink Skies: Lush Landscapes at Mavi Contemporary Art. Review of one-person show; Alex Clayton
• Chicago Artist Resource website “Going with the Flow” Professional Development profile
2007 • Outdoor Illinois Magazine “Cool Globes: Chicago Gets a Global Perspective on Climate Change”
• “Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet: Cool Globes. Wendy Abrams. Hard cover book.
2006 Herald-Whig; Quincy IL. “Faire with Flaire”; Entertainment Section. Holly Wagner
2005 • Chicago Tribune “Artist’s Work Gets Role of a Lifetime”. Womannews; Connie Lauerman.
• NorthShore Magazine; Glenview IL. “Crop Circles: Harold Ramis’ New Comedy The Ice Harvest; Stars Billy Bob Thorton;
John Cusak & 12 Painting from Nina Weiss”.
2004 Pioneer Press “Art Auctions Seek Spectacular Bids”. Diversions Section; Glenview IL.
2002 CAC Chicago Artist’s News “Museum Sales & Rental Galleries Offer Artist Exhibition Opportunities”. Chicago; IL.
2001 • Daily Herald; Suburban Chicago. Article about new commissioned artwork by Nina Weiss for Warrenville City Hall
1998 • “The Chicago Art Scene” Ivy Sundell. Soft cover book
• News Gazett “So You Want to be an Artist”. Champaign; IL
1995 – 1999 The Commercial Record; The Grand Rapids Press. Reviews of one-person show & group shows; Joyce Petter Gallery.
1993 Where Chicago Magazine “Local Talent” by Ann Hunter Green. Chicago; IL.
Nina Weiss is a nationally recognized landscape artist whose works are represented in private and corporate collections including United Airlines, Aetna Insurance, McDonalds, Eli Lilly, and Avon. Her paintings and drawings can be seen in two Hollywood films, “Chicago Fire” TV series; & has been reproduced in prints and posters. Exhibitions include the Koehnline Art Museum; Petter Gallery; The Art Center Highland Park; Union League Club; and more. Her work is represented by galleries throughout the U.S. Nina has created educational art videos for the Prismacolor company & the Craftsy website. Her Travel Sketches were used to create the new Prismacolor Watercolor Pencil Brochure. Publications include “100 Artists of the Midwest”; “Artists Homes & Studios” & “The Chicago Art Scene”. Nina taught for more than 18 years at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and currently teaches at Columbia College Chicago and Art Centers throughout the Midwest. Nina travels with students to Europe every summer for her European Landscape Painting & Drawing Workshops; and teaches throughout the summer in other beautiful locations.
NINA WEISS: PRAIRIE VIEWS
Oil paintings in the Prairie series delve into the layers; colors; and textures created by the flowers and grasses of the natural prairie landscape. A close-up entry into this complex mass of organic matter allows me to concentrate more on the gestural physicality of painting (line; gesture; color) and less on the traditional subject matter of landscape painting.
The Prairies I document often represent patchworks of preserved landscape throughout the USA. Without thoughtful conservation; these native landscapes are in danger of disappearing. They are small oasis of incredible beauty and natural diversity.
Work from the Prairie series draws the viewer into a heightened vision of gesture and hue, depicting nature with colors that are intense, lush, and dramatic. I strive to push the work beyond ideas of traditional landscape. I tease out the complex colors of nature, creating layers of contrast, line, and form.